The interest for blockchain from big banks and financial institutions is gaining momentum as more look to it as a pragmatic solution to business problems. This panel discussion will feature:
- Current state of blockchain investment in financial services & other sectors
- Use cases and practical applications for financial services from payment systems to clearing
- Near-term and long-term market prediction
Iliana Oris Valiente, Managing Director, Canada Innovation and Blockchain Lead, Accenture
- Iliana Oris Valiente, CPA, CA, CBP (Certified Bitcoin Professional) is a Managing Director at Accenture where she oversees both the Canada Innovation Hub and the Canadian blockchain practice, working with clients to support their strategic transformation journeys leveraging the latest emerging technologies.
Iliana is widely credited for being a trailblazer in the blockchain industry, leading initiatives to conceptualize and build blockchain solutions across industries – focusing on financial services, supply chain, health and public sector. Iliana has strong views on how the network effects of this technology will impact multiple industry verticals, and how it will radically change many status quo business models. Most recently, she founded ColliderX, a non-profit blockchain research and development organization, where she also chairs the board of directors. Iliana is also a contributor to the Tapscott-led Blockchain Research Institute, an Associate at the Creative Destruction Lab, and on the Emerging Leaders Advisory Council for CPA Ontario.
Based in Toronto, Iliana graduated summa cum laude from the University of Ottawa with a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce and is a certified public accountant and chartered accountant (CPA,CA). Iliana a published author and sought-after speaker, having presented at a number of North American and European conferences and events. She has been featured in print and online media, radio and television outlets including CNBC, CBC, NPR, BetaKit, IT World Canada, American Banker, and was named one of the Top 100 Most Influential People In the Blockchain Industry by Coindesk, the main news publication in the industry in 2017.
Scott Farrell, Senior Partner at King & Wood Mallesons, Co-chair of the Australian Government's FinTech Advisory Group and Leader of the Australian Government’s review into Open Banking
- Scott Farrell is a senior partner at King & Wood Mallesons with more than 20 years’ experience in financial markets and financial systems law, advising market participants, exchanges, clearing and payment systems, regulators and governments in Australia and Asia. Scott has given many years of service to the public and private sector in advising on, and guiding, regulatory and legal change in the financial market and system landscape.
In the last few years, Scott has applied his experience to advise both government and industry on the use, risks and impact of blockchain in banking & finance and financial markets. He advises clients on the creation and use of blockchain applications, including its interaction with existing legal and regulatory frameworks (and required reforms). In 2016, Scott was appointed to the Australian Government’s FinTech Advisory Group at its formation and coordinates its blockchain stream. In 2017, Scott led the Australian Government’s review into Open Banking in Australia. In 2018, Scott was appointed to be the co-chair of the Australian Government's FinTech Advisory Group.
Usman Sheikh, Partner at Gowling WLG, National Head - Blockchain & Smart Contract Group and National Litigation Lead - Securities, Compliance & Investigations
- Usman Sheikh is a Partner in Gowling WLG's Toronto office. Named in 2018 as one of the “Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers” by Canadian Lawyer and one of the top three FinTech lawyers in Canada by Chambers, he serves as the National Head of the firm's Blockchain & Smart Contract Group, as well as the National Litigation Lead of the firm's Securities, Compliance & Investigations Group. His clients include Canada’s largest banks, co-founders of Ethereum, twelve of the largest cryptocurrencies in the world as well as several blockchain pioneers.
A highly sought after thought leader on blockchain technology, Usman has briefed the offices of several prime ministers, as well as ministers, on blockchain’s disruptive power, and is regularly invited to speak on the topic to business leaders and at global blockchain conferences throughout the world. In 2019, Usman is scheduled to publish The Law of Blockchain Technology (Thomson Reuters).
This event is by invitation only. Please contact [email protected] for the event access code.
Already have the access code? Please register on our event page to secure your ticket.